Monday 30 June 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Food and Easy Cooking - Pots and Pans

Hello again,

I have been talking about losing and controlling my weight using healthy foods as well as talking about how cooking does not have to be a chore nor difficult and giving you ideas to make cooking simple. I like to cook and have been doing so for many years however, I should mention that cooking is made easier if you have the proper utensils to use.

There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to make a meal and not have the right pan or oven proof dish to use. Improvising will work but if you are not sure then it can turn out to be a disaster and could even put you off trying to cook.

Now do not go out and buy the most expensive pots and pans or oven proof bowl sets. What you want is just to have a set that will meet your requirements. Do not spend lots of money if you do not have too, especially if you are not sure you will use it all.

Starting out, if you do not already have, you need a good skillet/frying pan, a large and medium size sauce pan with lids, a roast pan with or without lid, and a couple of oven proof bowls with or without lids. The size of these will depend on how many you will be cooking for and also the size of your oven. You can always add to this when you need.

You will also need a good lifter/spatula, mixing spoons with long enough handles that you do not burn yourself when stirring and a couple of sharp knives. Dull knives are dangerous, you must keep your knives sharp. You will also need a can opener, tongs and scissors.

If you have electric pans and cookers then great, some of these are really good. What I am saying is you just do not have to have more than you need. I find I have my favourite pots and pans and bowls that I tend to use over and over again and some I hardly ever touch.

I know myself I could buy different pots, dishes and utensils because there are so many out there but I stop and think where will I keep all these. Quite a few apartments/condos, flats and houses do not have a lot of cupboard or counter space, so this is another thing you need to think about before going crazy on a spending spree.

I hope this helps a little if you are just starting out and not sure what you really need in order to get in the kitchen and start cooking.

No comments: