Friday 27 June 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Foods and Easy Cooking - Cheesey Pasta

Hello again,

This is another easy meal and it will not take you long to prepare. Now I do not like to buy ready made I prefer to make my own. I feel I have better control on what I am eating by doing this also I know it will be healthier. Packaged or ready made meals have a higher fat and salt content and most have preservative, which I do not want to consume.

Cheesey Pasta

I like to make my own pasta but for this you can buy dry noodles/shells but no Kraft Dinner.

In saucepan bring to boil water with a drop of oil and about a ½ tsp of salt (sea salt is what I use)

When boiling add the pasta, shells are best rather than long noodles. Oviously depending on how many will determine how much but for two use half a 500g bag. Lower the heat to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally to stop from sticking together. Cook till tender but firm not mushy soft. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking grate your cheese I prefer using low fat strong flavoured cheese. Experiment with various types use 2 – 4 different types. Remember blue cheese’s are very strong and will over power the flavour so use sparingly.

Grate the cheeses of your choice about 2 cups for about half a 500g bag of pasta used.

In a oven proof bowl put the drained pasta, mix in the grated cheese and bake in oven till cheese is melted and top is golden.

Serve with fresh green salad and you have an easy meal ready in approx. 30 minutes. Easy…below is list of various cheese types.

bleu – roqueforti, gorgonzola
Soft – camembert, brie
Semi hard – cheddar, Colby, edam gouda
Cooked Curd – Gruyere, beaufort, emmenthaler
Hard – Parmesan, reggiano
Fresh – goat, cottae, cream, feta, mascarpone, mozzarella, ricotta

No comments: