Friday 27 June 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Foods and Easy Cooking - Salmon

Hello again,

I have been talking about how eating healthy and cooking do not have to be an ordeal. I wanted to lose my extra weight and did not want to diet so I decided to look at what and how I was eating and then go from there.

Understanding what the foods you eat do to your body will help you when you are trying to lose weight. You do not have to give up foods just may have to limit the amounts and also how often you eat certain foods.

Preparing your own meals rather than, going out to eat, ordering in or buying ready made meals, is better and healthier but also can be very enjoyable.

I enjoy cooking simple and healthy meals. I turn on my tunes, or pop in a movie or just use the time to organise my thoughts. It can be very therapeutic.

Here is a simple but very tasty meal.

Salmon

Take a fillet of Salmon, depending on how many you are cooking for will determine the size. Be reasonable you really do not need more than 4-6oz per serving.

To cook broil/grill, skillet or bake. Any of these are easy and quick to do. If I decide to BBQ I usually place it in foil as it does become flaky and tends to fall through the rack.

BBQ – place fresh herbs or sliced lemons on the foil, lay fillet on top and then loosely rap it into a small package. Place on the BBQ, I find when the foil expands or puffs up the salmon is cooked, usually takes 10 minutes depending on size of fillet and temperature of BBQ.

To grill/broil, place under element for approx.5 minutes. Turn over and finish cooking on the other side. You can see how the colour changes as it cooks, by looking at the side of the fillet.

Cook basically the same on a dry skillet over medium heat. As the colour changes on the side once it reaches about half way flip the fillet and continue to cook.

Serve with fresh spinach and sliced mushroom salad.

This should take you less than 20 minutes to prepare and how healthy is this.

No comments: