Saturday 5 July 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Food and Easy Cooking - Tomato Sauce

Hello again,

I think a good tomato sauce is something that everyone can enjoy with just about any type of meal.

On days when I know I will have a little more time in the kitchen for breakfast there is nothing I like more than a cooked breakfast. Roasted potatoes, mushrooms sprinkled with paprika and a chunky tomato sauce.

To make the sauce

1 400g can peeled chopped tomatoes or 8 ripe tomatoes chopped
1 onion diced
1 stick celery diced
2 carrots diced
2 clove garlic finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
2 tbsp (tablespoon) chopped fresh basil
¼ cup tomato sauce

In saucepan place all the ingredients cover and bring to boil, simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Before serving remove the rosemary and thyme stalks.

If wanting to use this sauce over pasta then you may want to mash it down or blend it for a smoother texture. I like it both ways. Just depends on my mood at the time.

Use as a vegetable dish with your lunch or dinner or over baked potato or cooked rice, it is so versatile.

No comments: