Thursday 10 July 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Food and Easy Cooking - Spicy Meatballs

Hello again,

I like food and I prefer to cook but I like easy meals to prepare. I get tired or eating the same things so I will add different types of flavours to the dish just to see what it will be like. Here is one I think is good fun and adds zing to a pasta dish.

Spicy Meatballs

1 package of ground lean mince depending on how many but 1 lb should be enough for 4
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
1 – 2 red chilli pepper seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp (tablespoon) peanut butter
1 tbsp coconut cream or coconut
1 tsp (teaspoon) ground coriander

Mix all the above ingredients together and roll into bite size balls. Cook over medium low heat in skillet/frying pan browning on all sides. Remove and drain on paper towel or kitchen roll then toss into cooked spaghetti.

Here is my spaghetti variation, rather than having a tomato or cheese sauce.

Cook the spaghetti/pasta in lightly salted water, I like my pasta firm not soft and mushy, but cook yours to the texture you prefer. When it is almost cooked, then take

1 small onion finely chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
2 tbsp light oil
4 tbsp chopped parsley
Ground fresh parmesan cheese

Using same skillet/frying pan the meatballs were cooked in but first remove the cooked meatballs, keep them warm by covering with tin (aluminium) foil.

Heat the oil in the frying pan sauté or cook the onion until tender but not brown, add the garlic cook another 2 minutes stirring while you do this, then take about ¼ cup of the pasta water and add to the pan, mix well and let it gently boil down.

Drain the pasta then add it to the pan with the onions thoroughly toss it so it is well coated, toss in the meatballs and continue cooking for about 1 minute.

Remove to serving dish and sprinkle with parsley and cheese.

I will also add some roasted tomatoes to this dish for colour, or roasted bell peppers.

Now I will eat the meatballs on their own with roasted vegetables or rice. When eating them on their own I tend to make them larger about the size of golf balls.

*note – be very careful after handling chilli’s make sure you wash your hands before touching your eyes as chilli juice is very hot and will burn.

No comments: