Tuesday 22 July 2008

MaryLee's Healthy Food and Easy Cooking - Pasta Salad

Hello again,

I have talking about how cooking does not have to be difficult and also that making your own meals, rather than buy ready made or having take away (ordering in) is better, as you get to choose how healthy the meal will be.

I personally want to have control over my body and also I want to keep my weight in order. I have developed a weight loss program that is mainly about eating habits, food types and what combinations to eat food groups in as well as amounts.

Because of this, I prefer to make most of my meals, that way I know what I am eating.

Now do not get me wrong I do buy some ready made products, but before I buy them I look at the ingredients and try to buy the ones with less sodium (salt) and fats. However, with relish, mustard, ketchup, pickles, and of course peanut butter, I buy the brand I like.

Today my recipe is a Pasta Salad

2 cup orzo pasta (rice shaped)
1 medium English cucumber or seeded cucumber cubed
1 medium red onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 cup green peas (cooked)
½ cup mixed chopped fresh parsley (flat leaf) and basil leaves
30 medium size shrimps (shelled)
½ cup feta cheese cubed

In roasting pan place the shrimp, drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, place in oven 375 F or 180 C for 20 – 30 minutes until cooked but not browned. Shrimp will turn nice and pink when cooked.

In saucepan bring salted water to boil then add the pasta and cook until tender but firm. Drain.

In a serving bowl put the drained pasta, add the chopped vegetables, cheese and herbs and when shrimp are cooked add them, including all the oil in pan, to the pasta and gently mix together.

This can be eaten warm or chilled.

If you want more dressing then mix ¼ cup olive oil with 5 tablespoon lemon juice, it is better to whisk these as will blend better, add 1 tablespoon grainy mustard and toss into the pasta when pasta is still hot. Pasta absorbs the flavours better when it is still hot.

No comments: